All you need to know about styling editorial shoots – The Lombok event
Have you ever wondered how magazine shoots come together? Well, listen up because we’re about to tell you.
Interior stylists often book assistants to help out on shoots but when they turn up at the shoot location they often don’t know how the boxes of props get there, what it takes to plan and organise a shoot or what happens once the shots are done.
These are questions we’ve been asked time and time again. Today’s episode was recorded at a panel discussion event at the Lombok store on Tottenham Court Road in early December where four stylists explained exactly how it all works from shooting decorating shoots, real homes and makeovers to craft features and writing it all up again.
Special thanks goes out to Lombok for hosting a great event and to the panelists who shared their vast experience with the audience- Sara Bird, Dilly Orme and Maxine Brady
I hope this is as useful to you as it was to the assistants in the audience on the night but if you have any other questions just ask in the comments below.
You can find here –
Sara Bird – @sara_bird_stylist
Dilly Orme – @DillyOrme
Maxine Brady –@MaxineBrady
Emma Morton-Turner – @emmamtstylist
A few things we covered in this episode :
Sara – Decorating shoots
- Three layers of a shoot – floral/ texture/ colour. How hard you can make the shoot work – Costs are involved. A shoot needs to be able to be used 2-3 times more
- Cover lines always in mind
- Traffic light system for call ins
Dilly – Real Homes & Makeovers
- Get good reckky shots – with a proffessiobal photography if possible – more likely to get commissioned that way
Emma – Craft shoots
Maxine – Writing
- Future proofing – Slashy
- Kate Watson Smyth – Mad about the house
- Trend watching because you’re writing the features
- Be an expert in your field
- NCTJ professional qualification
- KLC writing courses
- Cate Butler Ross – The Copy Academy
- Speak to PRs – give them a call and make a contact – don’t just email
- Understanding photography rights –
Listen to this weeks episode here or click on iTunes
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.