How to write great copy with The Copy Academy’s Cate Butler Ross
Have you ever really thought about your writing skills? Well, now is the time to kick them into gear.
Want to know how to write a compelling head, sell or intro?
Do you know about cutting your copy?
Are you creating calls to action in every feature?
No? Then you need to listen to this episode. It’s jam-packed full of fantastic advice on how to improve your writing whether you’ve been doing it for years or are just starting out.
Since recording this episode and signing up to Cate’s Copy Academy I’ve learnt so much about writing. That’s the funny thing about writing as an interior stylist- no-one ever teaches you how to do it. You just shoot a real home then write up the interview, but there is a better way and Cate shares that in this bumper value-packed episode.
And before you dismiss this podcast episode thinking “Oh, I’ve been in this game for years/decades, I know how to write” Let me just share that so have I and I have completely changed how I now write everything from features and Facebook posts to blogs and Instagram posts (not to mention these show notes too!) I’m improving every day and I’m loving it. I defy you not to learn something new in this one.
Let me know your best tip from this episode. Please leave a comment below
Today’s guest is Cate Butler Ross
You can find her here –
Website : CateButlerRoss.com
Facebook – The Copy Academy
A few things we covered in this episode
- Woman and Home
- Jo Malone
- Mary Berry
- David Attenborough
- London Institute
- BBC Magazine
- BBC History Magazine
- BBC Good Food
- Country Living
- Women in Business
- The Copy Academy – Cate’s Facebook group The CopyAcademy . Ask to join here.
Cate’s copy checklist
- What’s your goal?
- Write a compelling headline – there must be a reward or a promise
- Have a call to action
- White space – Keep the page clean and spacious, keep your sentences and paragraphs short
- Is it conversational?
- Is your personality in your copy. Be your authentic self.
- Cut your copy – try and cut it by half.
Questions Cate answers
- How to write a compelling headline
- How to structure a feature
- How to get over writer’s block
- How to write a press release
- and more!
Listen to this weeks episode here or click on iTunes
Want to help the show or just say hello? We’d love you to comment below
- Want to help the show or just say hello? We’d love you to comment below
- Fancy leaving us an honest review on iTunes? – it really helps the show and we read each and every one of them.
Subscribe on iTunes here and don’t miss an episode